07 January 2006

Diminished White Sox Memories


I have been thinking about this on and off the past couple days. I watched the playoffs and WS again on Comcast this past holiday season. The Sox have won it all and I find myself not caring that much about the stars and accomplishments of past teams. They pale in comparison by such a degree that I am kind of surprised by it.

White Sox fans have survived on scraps for so many decades. Now that we have had the big feast, there is no way those scraps will suffice any longer. Nellie Fox was my first favorite player. My brother gave me a Fox bobblehead for Christmas. My reaction was lukewarm, and I had to act like it was a big deal. I would much rather have had an AJ Pierzyinski or a Mark Buehrle.

Other favorite players like Jungle Jim Rivera, Billy Pierce, Floyd Robinson, Gary Peters, Tommy John, Mike Hershberger, Bill Melton, Ron Kittle, Rich Dotson, Tom Paciorek, yes, even Frank Thomas, cannot hold a candle to current accomplishments.

Memories of the old ballpark, gone these last fifteen years, are less important.

Time marches on, and we do not have to cling to the past any longer. That is a good thing. I guess.

(thanks to DGK, Jr. for reminding me to post this.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good column. Harumph.

StatCounter