04 November 2005

Thanksgiving Looms


The annual ritual of practicing the Deadly Sin of Gluttony is coming up quickly. This is another celebration I don't care much for. Maybe back in the day families actually gave thanks to God on the last Thursday in November, but these days it is pretty much an excuse to either go on a mini-vacation or get started on Xmas shopping. The day itself is usually highlighted by a family get-together that includes excessive drinking, eating and sleeping in front of a TV while the womenfolk plan their Black Friday shopping strategy at the kitchen table. (I guess that is not so bad after all.)
Some families still happily congregate and renew their familial bonds, I am sure. Those have to be in the minority, just like children born in marriage and marriages that do not end in divorce.
Then there are the families that see each other reluctantly and end up getting drunk and fighting while an American football game blares in the background.
All in all, I can take it or leave it. I think my favorite Thanksgiving weekend occured in 1987 (?) when I was a rakishly handsome single guy in California. I made my own turkey, drank too much beer and fell asleep on the couch. (See, these things can be done alone, too!) Upon awakening I drove to Vegas in a fog and descended upon the Mirage for a couple days gambling, drinking and sleeping. Oh, and I gave thanks for the opportunity to be a wastrel.

1 comment:

Bret said...

Great photo. Whenever I think of Thanksgiving, I think of the classic "WKRP in Cincinnati" episode: "...the turkeys are hitting the pavement like sacks of wet cement!"

StatCounter