14 July 2005

Get in Shape Update #1


At the beginning of 2005, I had 242.5 lbs packed onto my 6'2" frame. My quack told me to lose weight or die, so I decided to get in shape. The local gym in my hometown has a wide variety of exercise classes. My favorites are Muscle Works/Coreboard and the Spinning classes.

Today I took Pilates for the first time. Now I know why women live longer than men on average. I am usually the only male in Muscle Works, and one of a few in Spinning. Most of the guys at the Club are overweight but they insist on playing raquetball or basketball. A few regulars use the free weights. We don't have a lot of body builder types at all. Some of the guys use the treadmills or stairmasters, but usually they employ incorrect form, holding on the rails.

So far this year I have lost 22 pounds (10 kilos) and about five inches off my waist. My goal is to get to 199 by year end if possible, but no later than next March 26 when we are off on vacation. A secondary goal is to get off this blood pressure med. It's good to have goals.

No comments:

StatCounter